Friday 2 July 2010

Skereeeam a little louder



You know when “they” talk about a mid life crisis, what exactly do they mean… does it mean that you’re having an identity crisis that just happens to fall around the same time you hit middle earth… I mean middle age and why I wonder is it portrayed as such a negative event in our lives. I know of late I have felt unsettled within my own psyche… it happens every now and again, in fact it happens a few times in a year and there may be triggers that set it off, and as yet I haven’t been out and bought a fancy red sports car, oops that tends to be the blokeys rebellion not the girls doesn’t it.
I wonder how much of who we are is lost in this society though our constant modernisms and the speed at which we feel we must live our lives… making no time for ourselves to cherish the relationship with our own spirit. Those moments of meditation and contemplation are seen as luxuries we no longer have time or space for, ideas of nurturing the spirit is suddenly classed as “alternative”, where it once was common place within society, how much we sacrifice for the sake of mighty Pound/dollar etc.,
I guess I feel certain changes within myself, age creeping in around the edges of my life, slowly encroaching on what was once my youth, silver hair replacing gold and so on… none of that bothers me, but why oh why do I have this overwhelming sense of panic that creeps up on me every now and again… as if I have been hemmed in by life and I have this increasing desire to …. Just scream! Lol
Is it just me that has moments like this… or is it universal; is this what a mid life crisis is … is this it’s beginning?
Sometimes when I think of what a mid life crisis is, it feels like the last push at independence… the last surge of the grass being greener… and maybe that is the key in this, it feels like the last phase of a lot of things within life and maybe that is where that sense of panic is born. Maybe I need to keep reminding myself there are a lot more chapters to come and that even if I do go through a mid life crisis, it may not be such a bad thing anyway… I am no different to most, in that fear of the changes that life forces upon us… just need to remind myself change/difference is/can be good, can bring about something better, more fulfilling. Maybe that is where the thinking is wrong… talk of midlife crises tend to focus on the series of “lasts” rather than seeing it as one door closing and another opening which leads the way to a whole new and exciting phase of “first times” again.
However - that still doesn’t prevent the desire to scream every now and again… ;))
have a great weekend everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debs. I don't know so much about a mid life crisis. I just want to stop being so tired all the time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I'm too busy having other crisisis to have a midlife one! lol. No I know what you mean figgy, I am going through an "unsettled" phase atm..restless...and a definite yearning to scream and then possibly go "bang" afterwards!
    I'm more than ready to start new chapters, but I'm kind of hoping for peaceful and tranquil ones lol..don't think I could cope with exciting!
    Have a great weekend my fellow figment..carry on screaming :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. found you! Boo! I have had a little play about and will probably give this site a go missus...;) see you in the park x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, it's odd, Debs. I recently discovered that, having passed the magic 55th birthday last year, I now qualify for senior citizen discounts in many of the local stores! I'm now officially a geezer having blown right through middle age without even realizing it. At the same time, in what's left of my mind at least, I don't feel much different than I did in my 20s.

    "They" say (Who the hell are "They" anyway?) you're only as old as you feel and I sure feel a lot younger than my ID says I am.......unless my arthritis is acting up and then I'm 182.

    ReplyDelete