Tuesday 24 July 2018

Dementia 1 - Grace 0




For the sake of writing this piece I will call my LO (loved one) Grace, not to imply a gender but purely because this person is the perfect example of Grace and has been throughout their lives, even on the worst days of this illness.


Sunday 22nd was a rough one, it left Grace unsure of most things, from who we were to what simple things were called, recalling the name of the phone needed a prompt and the mirror and who we were. 

The delusions were rearing their ugly heads today... apparently I/we were trying to con them because we dressed them in clothes rather than their PJ's .. and of course trying to reason with them when this little demon is in situ is a waste of time and energy, so on went the PJ's and peace was restored. 

It leaves an overall impression that the lights may be dimmed today but I know Grace is still in there, they smile at me the same ... a smile that I have known since childhood...and that is my saving Grace that for now at least - a part of Grace still survives .. distant today but as the day progressed more and more of their thoughts came back into clarity, like a curtain had been drawn and sunlight poured through.

As hard as it is to bear witness to this disease living it must be absolute hell!!



No comments:

Post a Comment